Monday, August 17, 2009

Baby's First Protest

Last week my healthcare provider decided to drop the midwife service I was using (and had used through our preganancy with Zoe). I was very upset because there is something very special about having a midwife instead of just the traditional "in and out" doctor of most OB practices. There are a million reasons to prefer a midwife - lower infant mortality rates, lower C-section rates, support throughout the labor, support after the birth, etc etc... There is just no substitute. So needless to say I, along with the rest of the pregnant community in my town, have been expressing my discontent through letter writing, news making,and protesting at the local hospital and OB offices. We were holding signs for a while, but now have resorted to a more attention grabbing effort - painting our message on our bellies! This is a really big deal for our family - and yes it is a family issue, not just a woman issue. Since there are no other options in our town this is a very important issue that MUST be changed! So my unborn baby had her first glimpse of standing up for what we believe in and I hope it is something that sticks with her throughout her life! One of these days I am going to bring Zoe too!

No comments: