Friday, May 9, 2008

Breastfeeding

So this was the first time I breastfed in public. It was not planned and there were a thousand people all around and nowhere to hide. But apparently Zoe didn't care. For those of you who don't know, I chose to breast feed Zoe because of the amazing health benefits for her. At first it was hard figuring it out, but we've got it down - AT HOME. Out in public is rough. But I'm going to do it. I know there are people that will stare and be disgusted and unfortunately that makes me feel uncomfortable. But it is a completely natural thing to do - something we are supposed to do - and the "public" really should get over it. The first time was kind of a comedy of errors though:)
The lady on the bench wouldn't go away or stop talking to me, there was a creepy guy staring at me, Keith and Holly had to take turns holding up the blanket so I wouldn't expose myself, Zoe wouldn't stop squirming, my nose was itching, and on and on! But we survived and each time I try makes it easier. Do me a favor though, the next time you see someone breastfeeding just give them a supportive smile and keep walking. Know that they are doing the best for their baby!

No comments: